Who are you?
I am Michelle Brock. For more about me, see my About Page.
What is this blog about?
I’m writing about a process, what I’m learning about parenting my children: struggles, questions, scriptural application, failures, and successes.
How will your website help me?
- I just published a book! It’s a topical Bible for children, and I think moms will love it as they are teaching their own children to love God’s word.
- You might be interested in the book I wrote on modesty. I wrote it with teenage girls in mind, and especially want to share principles for making wise choices, not simply a list of rules.
- If you’re looking for parenting books, you can look at my annotated booklist.
- See how someone else is grappling to apply Scripture to specific parenting challenges.
- If you are discouraged because everyone seems to know all the answers, I hope my blog will encourage you. I try to write about the process of thinking through my parenting challenges, not simply every time I got it right.
If you’d like some introductory articles on my approach to parenting, read these first:
- I like to talk about wisdom. I hope I am as diligent to search for it. See The Quick and Easy Way to Wisdom and No Regrets
- One of my goals is to ask questions more than lecture. I’m still working on it. Read When Asking Questions Doesn’t Work or Seeing Our Deficiencies.
- Psalm 78 is one of my favorite parenting passages. Part of the way that I’m trying to apply this passage is by talking aloud of what God is doing in my life. For an example, read Breakfast Transparency
- I am fairly introspective, and sometimes I worry. I’m learning not to be like I was with my first child, as I wrote about here: Attention Span in a Two Year Old
- In case you’re wondering, yes, we spanked our children for willful defiance, and only when other measures had been tried and proven ineffective. But I’m also concerned that the only way people know to discipline their children is to spank, and I’m concerned that much of what we teach about spanking isn’t based on biblical truth. For these reasons, there’s not a “spanking” category on my blog, although the topic comes up at times. Read Corporal Punishment.
- I do not dispense potty training advice. If you’d get satisfaction about hearing my woes, read here.
How Do I Navigate this Website?
- Consider subscribing by email! There’s a place to subscribe on the sidebar, and then you’ll receive posts when I publish them.
- If you click on the post title, you’ll see related posts at the end. You’ll also see a place to leave a comment.
- If you like the post, you can click on the “share this” button and can send the post to someone else.
- If a commenter has a website, you can find it by clicking on his or her name.
How do I search for a particular topic?
- Look for the topic you are interested in on the sidebar category list.
- If you are looking for information on a particular age, you can also search by date. Below the topic list you’ll see the archives. I don’t have my posts tagged by age yet, but if you know how old my children are currently, you can look by date to find posts for a specific age. One of my goals is to tag my posts by approximate age, but until then this method will suffice.
Are you worried about personal data?
Not too much. I don’t post our city or multiple pictures of our children on this website. It’s so easy to find personal information about someone, that simply removing our names doesn’t make sense. If someone wants to find us, they can easily. We live in a small town and my husband has a fairly visible job.
They know about my blog, and enjoy reading about their stories when they were younger. I try not to post information about our children that they will find embarrassing in later years.