I have a five year old son, and I want him to grow up to be a man of God. For a long time, now, I’ve been thinking about characteristics of godly masculinity, and I’ve recently been thankful to watch godly masculinity in action.
- A man who fears God more than he fears man.
- A man who stoops to right a wrong, regardless of the consequences. One who defends the defenseless, and is willing to inconvenience himself to help someone in need.
- A man who takes the time to teach what is right, rather than simply affirm or enforce what is right.
- A man who is passionate about truth, even at great personal cost. Someone who doesn’t just not tell lies, but who is a faithful truth teller.
- Someone who has the humility to admit when he is wrong, and who isn’t afraid to change when change is the right action.
Recently, I’ve been thankful for my brother, who isn’t perfect, but who has recently had opportunity to demonstrate the integrity I want to see my son emulate. Thanks, Tom, for the encouragement. Truth has not completely fallen in the streets.