Talking with a friend reminded me that I do have problems in my life. They’re my children. Just this last week, I’ve seen
- One child saying to a friend, “Let’s go away. We HATE him. [about another child]”
- One child trying to discern how appropriate a request is before obeying.
- Lots of times starting to put something away (after being reminded) but dropping it on a chair somewhere. (They have indeed been told this is not obedience)
- Lots of messes that do not get cleaned up. A new activity literally every three minutes, complete with its own mess.
- Needing to be prodded repeatedly to clean up the room. When mother helps, the children stop working.
- Whining and tears when a sibling doesn’t give a desired object to someone else.
- Siblings who hang onto said object just because the other child wants it.
- Siblings who tell a child to go away because they’re making a surprise, then spend that time playing with the other child.
- Children who poke each other in the car. (How many times did she say to stop? Five, but it wasn’t for the same thing, mom.)
- If the instruction seems unfair,strange looks
- Children who play instead of napping, then fall asleep in evening church.
- Children (older than 2) who pull the dogs tail, kick the dog, and forget to feed her. Not all at once, thankfully. Poor thing.
- Gloating and bragging.
- Interrupting. Then irritation when someone else interrupts.
Yep, I’d be a great mother if it wasn’t for my children.
[come back again for problems with, ehem, other people. Hint: Can you think of how these sins look in adults?]