What We’re Working On
- For the little one, not screaming or crying to get her way. Requiring more time between screaming and a second opportunity to ask for something properly (i.e., more significant consequence since she’s older and has a greater understanding of what she’s doing wrong, and what she should be doing instead)
- Not complaining at the table. In fact, not saying ANYTHING negative about the meal at the table (e.g., Mom, I’m not complaining, but, I really don’t prefer this at all. It is not one of your better meals.)
- Talking about gifts– Every good gift and every perfect gift comes from above. Using the season to help them become givers.
- Obeying– not on their own terms, or after they fully understand why.
- Letting the older ones study memory verses when they can’t sleep at night.
- Everybody finally able to help wash dishes, dry dishes, or sweep, after mealtimes.
- Talking about repentance at breakfast.
- Reading through the gospel at Matthew at breakfast (not everything, but most everything). Discussing each story particularly as it relates to salvation.
- Reading through Proverbs and praying with Daddy at night.
What’s Not Working
- Going walking each morning
- Keeping Bedrooms Clean
- Still not doing great with letters/ thank you notes
- Still haven’t talked about Saul and leaning on his own understanding
- Mom yelling at the dog. I have to figure out a way to keep her from barking at squirrels and joggers.
Ideas Sifting Through My Head
- Fear and parenting
- Being a keeper at home (doesn’t mean being a baker of bread from scratch, et cetera)
- Dealing with the personalities of my children– loving them for who they are by helping them become who God wants them to be.